Police admit mistakes made in murder case investigation

VietNamNet Bridge – Bac Giang police have admitted to shortcomings that led to an incorrect sentence being handed to Nguyen Thanh Chan for a murder committed ten years ago.

Victims of injustice

Life-sentence prisoner on parole after 10 years claiming innocence

Bac Giang police, mistakes, Nguyen Thanh Chan

Nguyen Thanh Chan in the arms of his relatives.

At a press briefing on Wednesday, Deputy Director of Bac Giang Police Tran Dinh Hong said he was sorry that there were shortcomings during the investigation and subjective reasons leading to the wrong sentence being handed down in the case.

Chan, 52, of northern Bac Giang Province, was sentenced to life in jail in 2004 for killing a woman. He was then set free on November 4, 2013 after the real murderer, Ly Nguyen Chung, confessed to police in October.

Hong said provincial authorities asked police officials, who had directly joined in handling the murder case, to prepare a detailed report and take responsibility for this case.

However, the level of wrongdoings and responsibility for other individuals was still being investigated by a higher-level agency before final decisions about their responsibility are announced, he said.

Vice Chairman of the provincial People's Committee, Nguyen Van Linh, said anyone found to have committed faults in this case must take responsibility before the law.

Provincial authorities visited and helped create favourable conditions for Chan and his family to overcome difficulties, especially traumas, caused by the incorrect sentence.

President Truong Tan Sang had asked concerned agencies to compensate Chan, who spent 10 years in jail, for a crime he apparently did not commit.

According to the case file, during his 10 years in prison Chan sent numerous letters to jailers, saying that he had not killed the woman on the night of August 15, 2003.

He alleged that the killer was, in fact, Chung.

On July 5, 2013, Chan's wife also sent a letter to the Investigation Department of the Supreme People's Procuracy, reiterating these claims.

After receiving the letter, investigators conducted an intensive investigation of Chung, prompting him to flee.

On October 25, 2013, Chung gave himself up and admitted his crime.

Source: VNS

Bac Giang police, mistakes, Nguyen Thanh Chan