Four schools recognized as Saigon relics

VietNamNet Bridge – Established in the early of the last century, the four schools built by the French in HCM City have been included on a conservation list.

Nguyen Thi Minh Khai School


Four schools recognized as Saigon relics, le hong phong, minh khai, marie curie, hong bang

Four schools recognized as Saigon relics, le hong phong, minh khai, marie curie, hong bang 



The school for girls was established in 1913. Two years later it recruited the first 42 female students from Saigon and surrounding areas. Gradually, the school had many students from other provinces so it became a boarding school.

Its uniform was purple ao dai (Vietnamese tunic), symbolizing the gentle and pure nature of Vietnamese women. Popularly known as the School of Purple-Ao Dai Girls, its official name is Collège Des Jeunes Filles Indigènes (School of Indigenous girls).

In 1953, the uniform was changed to white ao dai, with the yellow apricot as the badge, with curriculum in French. However the school name was changed into Vietnamese (Gia Long Female Secondary School). After 1975, the school was renamed Nguyen Thi Minh Khai.

Marie Curie


Four schools recognized as Saigon relics, le hong phong, minh khai, marie curie, hong bang

Four schools recognized as Saigon relics, le hong phong, minh khai, marie curie, hong bang 



Founded in 1918, Marie Curie High School was named after the Polish – French Nobel laureate scientist. This is one of the oldest schools of Saigon and the only one that has not changed.

The school was managed by a French management board, teaching was in French and students were only French girls, with a few Vietnamese girls who came from wealthy families. The school has a dormitory for students from other provinces.

Since 1970 the school began admitting boys. After 1975, French teachers returned home and handed over the school to the HCM City Education and Training Department.

In 1997, it was transformed into a semi-public model. The school used to be the largest high school in the country with more than 5,000 students each year. Ten years later the school changed its model back to public school. It reduced enrollment to increase the quality of education.

Le Hong Phong School for Gifted Students


Four schools recognized as Saigon relics, le hong phong, minh khai, marie curie, hong bang

Four schools recognized as Saigon relics, le hong phong, minh khai, marie curie, hong bang 



With classic French architecture, the school was founded in 1927 and was one of the first three high schools in Saigon with the first name of Petrus Ky. One year later it opened the first course with 200 students.

In 1976-1977, the school was renamed Le Hong Phong. In 1990-1991 academic year, the school was tasked to train gifted students for HCM City.

In 1995, the Prime Minister tasked the Le Hong Phong High School to train gifted students of southern provinces.

Hong Bang Secondary School


Four schools recognized as Saigon relics, le hong phong, minh khai, marie curie, hong bang
  


As the boarding school for French people to Vietnam, Hong Bang Secondary School was built by the French in 1933. It later became a branch of the Jean - Jacques Rousseau School in Cho Lon - Saigon.

In early 1967, the French handed over the school to Vietnam and it became the Hong Bang Education Centre. After 1975, the revolutionary government took over the school.

Le Ha

Four schools recognized as Saigon relics, le hong phong, minh khai, marie curie, hong bang
 
*
*
*
  Send