Last update 2/26/2012 8:00:00 AM (GMT+7)
  

60 percent of water for Vietnam outside Vietnamese territory

VietNamNet Bridge – Shocking information has been released by competent agencies: 60 percent of the water resources for Vietnam are sourced from the areas outside the Vietnamese territory.


Vietnam is in the tropical country with scorching sun and much rain. In the thoughts of Vietnamese people, Vietnam has endless water resources. Water can be seen everywhere in the Vietnamese territory, especially on the plains and riparian areas, near the sea.

However, this is just a “feeling.” In fact, 60 percent of the water resources for Vietnam have been relying on the sources outside the Vietnamese territory.

The total surface water reserves in Vietnam are bout 830 billion cubic meters, which can sufficiently satisfy the demand for people’s livelihood and production development. The surface water reserves come from two different sources, from the rain water on the Vietnamese territory, the rain water from neighboring countries flowing to Vietnam.

The former source makes up 37 percent of the total water resources, while the latter more than 60 percent. As such, in fact, local surface water is just enough to satisfy 40 percent of the demand, while the other 60 percent is met by the water resources outside Vietnam.

Scientists have also pointed out the big difference between the north and the south. On the Red River Basin in the north, the ratio of domestically sourced water on imported water is 50:50. In the south (the Mekong River), inland water resources accounts for 10 percent only, while the other 90 percent come from “foreign sources.”

Supposed that one day, for some reasons, the water resources outside the territory are blocked; the localities within the Mekong Delta basin would fall into the state of lacking capital.

The Mekong Delta is the rice granary of the whole country with the land and human resources purely Vietnamese, but 90 percent of water resources depend on the sources outside the territory. In agriculture production, water is the most important factor (the second important is fertilizer, followed by diligence and seeds). Meanwhile, the self-sufficient level of the delta in water is modest just 10 percent.

By releasing the report about the water resources, scientists have tried to persuade individuals and institutions to waste water. Saving water can bring double benefit.

Bad consequences from the climate changes have been warned by scientists, who said that in such a context, saving water is a necessity.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment’s monitoring report (MONRE) showed that the water environment is seriously polluted. Not only the surface water (at ponds, lakes, rivers and streams), but underground and rain water have also got polluted for many reasons, according to Dr Le Thuong Man, Deputy Chair of the HCM City Chemical Association.

Meanwhile, Saigon Tiep Thi has cited its sources as reporting that the underground water in HCM City has got more seriously polluted in heavy metal. The heavy metal concentration has increased over the lost year on some areas in the suburbs, including golf courses, districts 2, 12, and Thu Duc and Cu Chi.

At Pleistocen underground water layer, the main source of running water for the HCM City, the pH concentration and Coliform do not meet the standards on the majority of monitoring areas, mostly in the suburb districts. Besides, the pollution level due to organic waste of the underground water in crowded residential quarters has also increased alarmingly.

The project funded by the Spanish government has also rung the alarm bell over the quality of the water of Saigon River, saying that the river has got more polluted because of too many “black waste resources.”

Source: Dai doan ket, SGTT

 
*
*
*
  Send